Monday, November 5, 2007

Thing # 8

The best feature about RSS and newsreaders is that the information is brought to the reader, not the reader searching for the information. The reader decides up front what is of interest to him/her and that is the information that comes in as often or as infrequently as the reader chooses. This sort of information will force me to look at what is current whether I am aware of it or not and also allow me to choose a feed that a colleague/student might need current information on and pass that article on to him/her. For example, we get the Dallas Morning News everyday and we give it to the secretary every evening. Many times, someone will come in a week later and refer to an article and ask if I have the paper or how they could I get a copy of it. I think this might be an avenue to help that teacher.
As I read through these blogs and feeds, I think this technology is bringing libraries together ~ this is a way to connect to the library world even internationally. We can learn so much from what "they" are doing out there in all areas, and we can share what we are doing right here in Mesquite.
I especially enjoyed the It Really Is Really Simple: RSS for Educators and CNET Video: RSS - Feel the Need for Feeds, and Feed Me tutorials. They were clear and very informative. I thought the Getting Started Using Google Reader went too fast and the narrator was not as clear.
Overall, though, I enjoyed this exercise because I didn't feel rushed and did it in segments. The more I searched the more I wanted to search. I guess these "webfeet" are getting wetter and wetter.

1 comment:

mmw said...

You're doing a great job, Webfeet! Keep those toes in the water! :-)