Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Thing # 9

In this exercise I added School Library Journal 2.0 and put it in a folder entitled 'Blog'. I also set up a MISDISD feed and added it to the folder entitled 'News'.
I thought all the search tools were very easy to navigate through ~ at least initially. I especially liked the layout of Syndic8.com because of the way the items were categorized or grouped (i.e.) most viewed, most popular, most recent, the graphs, etc. On the other hand, this site got me more and more away from subjects I was interested in and sometimes real confused about what was going on-latest articles on fancy dress and fashion. This was probably the most unusual one I viewed.
The Topix.net was set up very clearly and concisely - People reading, talking and editing, I really like the clarity of this site and enjoyed browsing its contents. There was even a listing of sales (houses, merchandise, furniture, etc.) as well as the most popular news of the day. I found this to be a very interactive sight as well as a very informative sight. This is also the site where I searched jobs for librarians and found everything available in the United States and then, more specifically, Dallas. Very interesting ! We need to hold on tight to what we've got !!
Technorati covered everything from entertainment to sports to politics. In the life section, I read where 80% of all Americans are online now according to a recent Harris poll. I am sure that stat went up significantly after our last staff development meeting !!!!
I looked at Slashdot.com and found all kinds of interesting news items. One was the idea of putting chips in the uniforms of students to keep up with them. These articles and the comments went on and on ~ very insightful.
Finally, I clicked into BibMe and found that this is a way to get free bibligraphic citations online which would be useful to look into at more depth and inform our teachers.
Overall, this was quite a journey and provided a wealth of information on about anything anyone could possibly want to know. You can get as specific or as general as you want which would certainly meet the needs of all users.

1 comment:

Library Magic said...

Wow! You make me want to really get into these different feed sites and explore!